Nearly everyone experiences depression at some point in their lives. It can manifest as anxiety, exhaustion or just feeling emotionally dead, but it’s never fun. Fight back! Follow the tips below and get your smile back.
As a warmup, spend some quality time making faces at yourself in the mirror. Focus in particular on creative ways to stick out your tongue. Laughing is encouraged. Then read The Onion, or watch funny videos. Now you’re ready for full-body laughs.
These require that you go somewhere where no-one will see or hear you. Don’t worry about form. The sillier you look, the better. Just try to do these in order. If anything hurts, stop and move on to the next thing:
1. Put your arms more or less over your head, reach up, and move them around. If you’ve ever watched ‘Lost In Space’, shout “Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!”.
2. Before you bring your arms back down, bend each finger individually and make it touch your palm.
3. Let your upper body go limp, so that the top of your head is more or less facing the ground. Now swing around until your arms fly up in the air. Don’t smack yourself!
4. In front of a mirror, bend your knees slightly, then bounce up and down, keeping your feet on the ground. It’s a hoedown! Look as ridiculous as possible.
5. March around. Literally. Get your knees up as far as is comfortable. Salute occasionally.
6. Stop and stand with your legs shoulder-width apart and your knees relaxed. Make believe your face is made of rubber while you rapidly say, “wow wow wow wow” and “boogadee boogadee boogadee”.